Day 1 Keynote
The day one general session was hosted by Pat Gelsinger, VMware’s CEO. He started with a quick mention of it being his seventh year as CEO of VMware, and then moved onto the theme for the day: “Tech in the Age of Any”. He spoke about the tremendous amount of variety that defines technology today, and how overwhelming all this choice can be if not managed properly.
The big news that everyone expected Pat to talk about was the acquisition of Pivotal and Carbon Black. He officially welcomed the two new companies into the “VMware family” and talked about the synergies that they will bring to the VMware portfolio.
Key Product Announcements:
- VMware Tanzu, a portfolio of products and services to transform how enterprises build software for Kubernetes.
- Project Pacific, which will re-architect Kubernetes into vSphere to create one platform to unite developers and operators to one platform.
- CloudHealth Hybrid, which will take CloudHealth’s capabilities across both public and private clouds to optimize cost, usage, and performance.
- Secure State, to help manage the security challenges and governance issues across multiple clouds.
- Azure VMware Solutions is expanding its global reach with three areas currently available, five planned for 2019 and two planned for Q1 2020.
- VMware Cloud on Dell EMC, a co-engineered Datacenter-as-a-Service solution between VMware and Dell built on VMware Cloud Foundation and Dell vxRail.
- New versions of vRealize Operations, vRealize Automation, and vRealize Lifecycle Manager.
Key EUC Product Announcements:
- “Consumer simple and enterprise secure” is VMware’s digital workspace philosophy.
- Workspace ONE Virtual Assistant powered by Watson AI
- Workspace ONE “Digital Employee Experience Management” to proactively identify and automatically remediate potential performance issues before they impact the computing experience.
- New Trust Network integrations are GA for Lookout, Carbon Black and Netskope to incorporate third party risk information into Workspace ONE Intelligence.
- Details on each of these new technologies can be found on VMware’s EUC Blog.
The day one general session can be watched here.